The boys are about 5 months shy of turning 5. You would think that they would be pretty self-sufficient by now. My husband gets on my case regularly about letting the boys do things on their own. To be more independent. I try, I really do. But, it is damn hard to tell your 4 1/2 year olds to get dressed and watch them take an hour to do so when you need to be somewhere in 25 minutes. Here are some things I still do, which is in all likelihood festering my childrens’ dependence on me. But I just can’t stop!
1. I still give my kids sippy cups of milk before bed. Even though I swore we were going to be finished with them by their fourth birthday.
2. They still wake up a couple of times a night requesting sippy cups of milk.
3. Because of #2, they are still in overnight diapers.
4. I still get them dressed in the morning.
5. I give them baths and wash them, dry them off after tubbies and put them in their pj’s.
6. I still wipe their ass after they go poop.
Whew. I feel much better after getting that off my chest. What things do you do as a parent that you aren’t “supposed” to do?